Blog Archives

Why HR lost its’ spot in the executive committee

Professor David Wilson figures that HR spends 85 percent of the time fixing concrete things such as making sure everyone is paid correctly, hiring and firing, training and checking the work environment*.  The remaining 15 percent spent on strategic work

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Uncategorized

Hierarchy + Homogeneity = Stupidity

I used to make up bedtime stories for my kids. One of them was about a young lion that liked to hang out with an elephant and a giraffe. Like Simba in Disney’s Lion King the other lions could not understand this, but when drought hit the region this

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Uncategorized

Ships with fixed rudders will run aground

A ship with a fixed rudder will run aground; companies enjoying their blue ocean run this risk too In the last couple of years I have come across a few organizations that resemble a ship where the pintle has rusted

Tagged with: , , , , ,
Posted in Uncategorized

Speed is the new Stupid

83 million searches every month can be wrong. Speed isn’t always the thing you want.  Not in bed and not in business. To get things done you need a bit of slack. The nature of slack can vary.  Sometimes it

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Uncategorized

Is your Strategy a Paper Tiger?

I have enjoyed the privilege of analyzing hundreds of companies, but only a few where strategy was something that everyone cared about. You probably recognize the scene. The top two hundred managers are gathered at a fancy conference center. They

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Uncategorized